My sewing project is almost finished. A few minor details and the Montana Mei Tai will be done! Photo finish and editorial, I promise!
I seem to have been insanely busy getting a whole lot of nothing done over the past few weeks! I am completely stalled out on all of my projects as a result. The Little Leg Warmers are waiting to be sewn. The Montana Mei Tai has padding in the straps, but still needs to be constructed. I hit 3 full size and 1 mini Tawashis and ran out of steam. Kid crafts have been on the back burner due to an insane Yo Gabba Gabba addiction and toddler defiance - and yes, mommy exhaustion.
Today we did start on a new collaborative craft. Ophelia helped by painting the stems and the material for the leaves. Tomorrow we are planning on painting the flowers, which I cut out and folded today. I will then construct the Toilet Paper Roll Daisies and post a picture of the finished product. And maybe even a tutorial, if I can get both hands free to blog a bit.
And to add to my never-ending list of projects, my mom just sent me a whole box of paper crafting supplies. Custom Cards, here we come!
- At least 3 different color/patterned pieces of fabric that are the same size. Fat quarters are ideal for this, but you can use any size that you would like, as long as all of the fabric pieces are the same size.
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
- Quality thread
- Sewing machine and basic sewing notions: bobbins, scissors, pins
- Iron and ironing board.
For this tutorial, I used 5 fat quarters in varying shades of purple batik.
I finished designing and drawing my pattern this afternoon and am anxiously awaiting the materials from Fabric.com. I have 3 yards of black heavy weight brushed twill and a yard of purple Minky fleece on it's way! The twill will be for the shoulder and waist straps as well as for the main support in the body construction. The Minky is for a soft, plush lining. I have some really gorgeous purple batik prints that I am going to blend to create the outside of the carrier and a boatload of fleece that I will use as batting to pad the shoulder and waist straps as well as the body of the carrier. This particular carrier is intended to be a 'cool weather' carrier - seeing as how it will be insulated. When this one is completed, I have plans for a non-insulated 'warm weather' version as well.
I am very excited about this project! Stay tuned for updates. I hope to complete this within 2 weeks, depending on when my material arrives and how much 'hands free' time my girls allow me!
Feb 4th update: The fabric has arrived!! Now to wash it and cut all of the pieces...
Feb 10th update: I have washed and pressed all of my fabric. I am in the process of making some"Wacky Fabric©" out of my batiks: this will be the decorative fabric used for the outside of the Mei Tai. Stay tuned for more updates and a "Stack and Hack©" tutorial for making the Wacky Fabric©. Edit: I have changed Stack and Whack to "Stack and Hack©" (for now), as "Stack-n-Whack" is a trademarked method of making a magic kaleidoscope quilting square. You can read more about it here: Stack-n-Whack. My method is a bit different.
Feb 14th update: All of my fabric is cut and pressed. The hood is 95% completed. I only need to close the hole where I turned the fabric and add quilting ties to the decorative side. And, of course, attach it to the body. Here is a sneak peak:
Update: She loves it! She's been wearing it since she got it this morning!