Tawashi

ACRYLIC TAWASHI
It's a Scrubbie!

I will start off with an obligatory Tawashi joke: What is a Tawashi? It's a scrubbie tawashi things with! HA HA HA HA! 

Seriously, now. It really is just a basic scrubbie. The traditional Japanese Tawashis were made from hemp palm and resembled more of a brush than a scrubbie. A Tawashi can be anything from a loofah to a sponge to a ball of steel wool: if it fits in the palm of your hand and you can scrub (and therefor clean) things with it, it's a Tawashi. 

I first saw these nifty little things on my friend Lexi's blog: Full of Knit. Here you can see a great list of reasons why Tawashis are Sugoi (that's 'great' in Japanese).  She also promised to post a tutorial on how she made them, but she never did....so I was inspired to go out and find a free, fun, and easy pattern for one. And since Ophelia was looking over my shoulder while I was searching, I decided that my first one would be a Bath Tawashi for her. And here it is:


The pattern for this Tawashi is from How to Crochet a Tawashi on CraftStylish. I made this exactly as the pattern is written with the exception of using a single color yarn instead of three different colors. This was very easy to crochet, and while I can't say that I can make them at 'factory speeds', my goal of one a day for the next week is not outlandish. I used a Caron Dazzleaire acrylic/nylon blend in MULBERRY 2676 to make this one. It's soft enough to use on delicate skin and the pattern creates a nice texture that is great for exfoliating. And it is machine washable and dryable - so we can reuse these, unlike those plastic bath poofs or the dreaded kitchen sponges that need to be tossed out when they get funky.

You can make them out of any yarn you have on hand. This is a great stash buster project, as it uses very little yarn.

Here are a couple of lists of patterns for crocheted and knit scrubbies, dishcloths, and Tawashis:

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Can you just buy one of these somewhere? I used to have one that was made out of a more stiff fabric, almost plastic but not, and I LOVED it! I am sick of our sponges falling apart and smelling. But I don't knit or crochet or whatever. ;o)

Heidi Maxwell said...

I bet you could find them at the craft fair or maybe the farmer's market. Or you could ask your friend to make you a couple!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger

Design by Blogger Templates